Welcome to Statistics at Purdue
News and Events
- Other Departmental News
- Ward and Gundlach Collaborate on New Probability Textbook
- Kyle Bemis Wins First Place in AISES Conference Poster Competition
- Purdue Statistics Ranked Number One in U.S. Conferring Bachelor's Degrees in Statistics in 2012
- Navarro Selected to Inaugural Class of Purdue Global Ambassadors
- Department of Statistics and Actuarial Science Program Honor Outstanding Alumni for 2013
- So You Want to Be a Statistician in Business...
- Actuarial Science & Applied Statistics Senior Rachit Agarwal Profiled in Online Interview
- Purdue to Host 1st Annual Midwest Actuarial Student Conference
- Purdue Press Release Highlights NSF Grant for Statistics Living-Learning Community
- Please welcome visitors Dr. Munni Begum, Mr. James Miles, Dr. Zuofeng Shang, Dr. Walid Sharabati, and Dr. Jongwoo Song to Purdue Statistics
- Purdue Puts Spotlight on High-Frequency Data Analysis in Finance, Across the Hudson River From Wall Street
- Viens to Present College of Science Research Award Lecture
- North American School of Information Theory Coming to Purdue Summer 2013
- Congratulations May 2013 Graduates!
- Congratulations 2012-2013 Award Winners!
- Olga Vitek and Guang Cheng Receive Awards
- New York Times Story Highlights "Hot New Field" of Data Sciences
- Wolak and Woolford Named Distinguished Science Alumni for 2013
- Emeritus Professor William J. Studden: 1935-2013
- Emeritus Professor Steve Samuels: 1938-2012
- Zhang Elected to ISI
- Members of Statistics Department Recognized at College of Science Faculty and Staff Awards Luncheon
- Dr. Roland Thorpe Visits Campus
- Gundlach Discusses Students' Information Literacy & STAT113
- Ghosh Awarded Honorary D.Sc. Degree
- Statistics Students Featured in Insights Article About Diversity
Purdue Statistics members part of team to identify gene that eases the genetic modification of plants
A Purdue University research team identified a gene that influences susceptibility to infection by Agrobacterium tumefaciens, a bacterium that is used as a tool to insert genes into plants to produce traits such as resistance to pests, diseases or harsh environmental conditions or to improve the nutrition or shelf life of a crop.
Read the entire article on the Purdue News website.
Ward appointed Managing Editor of mathematics journal
Applicable Analysis and Discrete Mathematics is currently ranked as 51 out of 296 journals in pure mathematics by Thomson Reuters'. The stated scope is, "Applicable Analysis and Discrete Mathematics publishes original papers in Mathematics, particularly in classical mathematical analysis, complex analysis, functional analysis, differential and difference equations, special functions, combinatorics and graph theory, mathematical applications in probability and statistics, numerical analysis and computer science."
Professor Jayanta Ghosh honored with the Padma Shri Award
Padma Awards, the country's highest civilian awards, are conferred in three categories, namely, Padma Vibhushan, Padma Bhushan, and Padma Shri. The Awards are given in various disciplines/fields of activities:
- social work
- public affairs
- science and engineering
- trade and industry
- literature and education
- civil service
Please join us in congratulating Professor Ghosh for this honor!
A Career in Statistics: Opportunities, Duties, and Salaries
If you enjoy parsing data, then pursuing a career as a statistician might be to your liking. Your strong interest in math or statistical theory can lead to a position where you collect, organize, and interpret numerical data, summarizing your findings into information that people find usable as well as useful. Statisticians may be generalists or work in a specific field such as economics, agricultural, or marketing. Similar job titles include program research specialist, clinical statistics manager, demographer, and trend investigator.
Read the entire article on the saycampuslife.com website.
Please welcome visitors Dr. Khalifa Es-Sebaiy, Dr. Marcelo Mollinari, Dr. Bruce Solomon, and Dr. Seongjoo Song to Purdue StatisticsWe are pleased to welcome Dr. Khalifa Es-Sebaiy, Dr. Marcelo Mollinari, Dr. Bruce Solomon, and Dr. Seongjoo Song as visitors of Purdue Statistics this (Spring 2014) semester.
Please help make our visitors welcome, and feel free to stop by their offices to introduce yourself.
Congratulations December 2013 Graduates!
On Sunday, December 15, 2013, Purdue University and the Department of Statistics awarded graduate and undergraduate degrees to the following people:
Ph.D. Graduates - (Advisor) Dissertation Title
- Dr. Glen DePalma (Advisor: Bruce A. Craig) Title: "Disk Diffusion Breakpoint Determination Using a Bayesian Nonparametric Variation of the Errors-in-Variables Model"
- Dr. Cheng Liu (Advisor: Hao Zhang) Title: "Non-parametric Spatial Models"
- Dr. Jeffrey Nisen (Advisor: Jose Figueroa-Lopez) Title: "Statistical Estimation of Jump-Diffusion Models via Optimal Thresholding"
- Dr. Danni Yu (Advisor: Olga Vitek) Title: "Noise Reduction and Variance Estimation for High-Throughput molecular Biology Experiments with Small Sample Size"
- Dr. Han Wu (Advisor: Michael Zhu) Title: "Statistical Models for Gene and Transcripts Quantification and Identification Using RNA-Seq"
- Mr. Jorge Alfaro Murillo
- Mr. Wei Dou
Undergraduates in Statistics and Actuarial Sciences
- Mr. Kairatuly Bauyrzhan
- Ms. Elizabeth N. Caldwell
- Mr. Henry A. Char
- Mr. Haolin Chen
- Ms. Tianyi Chen
- Mr. Zuoyang Ding
- Mr. Austin D. Graber
- Ms. Xin He
- Mr. Chengyu Huang
- Mr. Nathaniel T. Johnson
- Mr. Bikram S. Kalra
- Ms. Margaret H. Kim
- Mr. Alisher Kussaiyn
- Ms. Kunyu Li
- Ms. Carmine J. Lim
- Ms. Shimeng Lin
- Ms. Renee C. Maciejewski
- Ms. Ain Fazlin Mohd Podzi
- Mr. Rinat Mukhamadiyev
- Ms. Erin L. Myers
- Ms. Rabiatul A. Nizam
- Mr. Yicun Qian
- Ms. Chen Shen
- Mr. Ahmad Dhiyaurrahman Abdul Shukor
- Ms. Shuang Su
- Ms. Kimberly Suhendro
- Ms. Julia C. Welton
- Ms. Edyta A. Winkowska
- Ms. Xinqing Wu
- Ms. Youjia Yang
- Ms. Yuxi Yang
- Mr. Zharfan Zainuddin
- Mr. Wenjun Zhang
- Mr. Hongyu Zhao
- Ms. Chenlin Zhou
Statistics at Purdue
Our commitment to core areas of research in Mathematical, Methodological, and Applied Statistics, and Probability supports and enhances our focus areas of research in:
- Bioinformatics - Our work in this area started in 1995. Interdisciplinary collaborations with agronomists, biologists, and computer scientists are essential components.
- Climate Change and Computational Science - statistical models of Climate Change; long term collaborations with Earth and Atmospheric Sciences.
- Computational Finance - Cutting edge investment science; collaborations with Computer Science, Economics, Industrial Engineering, Management, and Mathematics.
- Statistics and Computer Science: Mining, Learning, Visualization and Massive Data - Statistics and Computer Science are natural partners today, and bringing together knowledge from the two disciplines holds great promise for the future of learning from data.
- Science Education - foundation developed by distinguished Professor for the scholarship of teaching.
Our StatCom program is a community service program directed and staffed by graduate students in the Department.
The Department's Statisical Consulting Service offers free statistical software and design consultations to University researchers. Students and staff participate in Purdue's Technical Assistance Program (TAP) which helps Indiana's businesses and industries implement new technologies.
All of our work is supported by our state of the art facilities enabling our faculty, staff and students to realize their full potential.
Questions or comments? Please send e-mail to email@example.com