Associate Professor of Statistics, Department of Statistiscs, Purdue University
Joint appointment at Regenstrief Center for Healthcare Engineering, Purdue University
Telephone: (765) 494-7913
Email: lingsong AT purdue DOT edu
Department of Statistics
150 N. University St.
West Lafayette, IN, 47907
- Statistical Methodology
Machine Learning and Big Data Analysis
High Dimensional Inference
Functional and Object Oriented Data Analysis
Scale Space Inference
- STAT 52400 Applied Multivariate Analysis
- STAT 51200 Applied Regression Analysis
- STAT 51100 Statistical Methods
- STAT 50300 Statistical Methods for Biology
- STAT 59800 Topic Course: Functional Data Analysis
- STAT 59800 Topic Course: Functional Data Analysis and Statistical Imaging
- STAT 59800 Topic Course: Dimension Reduction and Deep Learning
Awards and Honors
You can access my publication list website (password protected) to get preprints or reprints.
- Elected member, International Statistical Institute
- Team Award, College of Science, Purdue University
- Outstanding Assistant Professor Teaching Award, Department of Statistics, Purdue University
- A Seed For Success Award, Purdue University
Publication: Statistical Methodology
- Qiu, Y., Zhang, L., & Wang, X. (2020). Unbiased Contrastive Divergence Algorithm for Training Energy-Based Latent Variable Models. In International Conference on Learning Representations.
- Qiu, Y., Zhang, L., and Liu, C. (2018), Exact and efficient inference for partial Bayes problems, Electronic Journal of Statistics12(2), pp. 4640-4668.
- Sun, H., Craig, B.A., and Zhang, L. (2017), Angle-based Multicategory Distance-weighted SVM, Journal of Machine Learning Research, 18(85), pp. 1−21
- Faraway, J., Mahabaly, A., Sun, J., Wang, X., Wang, Y. and Zhang, L., (2016) Modeling light curves for improved classification. Statistical Analysis and Data Mining, 9(1), pp. 1-11.
- Qiao, X., and Zhang, L., (2015) Flexible High-dimensional Classification Machines and Their Asymptotic Properties, Journal of Machine Learning Research, 16, pp. 1547−1572
- Qiao, X., and Zhang, L., (2015) Distance Weighted Support Vector Machine, Statistics and Its Interface, 8, pp. 331-345.
- Zhang, L., Lu, S. and Marron, J. S., (2015) Nested Nonnegative Cone Analysis, Computational Statistics and Data Analysis, 88, pp. 100-110.
- Zhang, L. and Wang, Y. (2014) Visualizing Singular Value Decomposition, WIREs Computational Statistics, 6(3), pp. 197-201.
Zhang, L., Zhu, Z. and Marron, J. S. (2014) MultiResolution Anomaly Detection Method for Fractional Gaussian Noise, Journal of Applied Statistics, 41(4), pp. 769-784.
published online before print on March 14, 2014. DOI 10.1002/wics.1295
Zhang, L., Shen, H. and Huang, J. Z. (2013) Robust Regularized Singular Value Decomposition with Application to Mortality Data, Annals of Applied Statistics, 7(3), pp. 1540-1561.
Zhang, L. and Zhu, Z. (2013) Spatial Multiresolution Cluster Detection Method, Statistics and Its Interface, 6(1), pp 65-78.
Zhang, L. and Lin, X. (2013) Some considerations of classification for high dimension low-sample size data, Statistical Methods in Medical Research, 22(5), pp. 536-549.
- Published online on October 21, 2013. An early version is available at Arxiv.
Wu, M. C., Zhang, L., Wang, Z., Christiani, D. C. and Lin, X. (2009) Sparse linear discriminant analysis for simultaneous testing for the significance of a gene set/pathway and gene selection, Bioinformatics, 25(9), pp. 1145-1151.
- Published online before print on November 23, 2011, doi:10.1177/0962280211428387
Zhang, L., Marron, J. S., Shen, H. and Zhu, Z. (2007), Singular Value Decomposition and its Visualization Journal of Computational and Graphical Statistics, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 833-854.
- An early version of this paper won 2008 student paper award of ASA Sections on Statistical Computing and Statistical Graphics, 2008 ICSA applied statistics symposium student paper award
- An early version of this paper won 2005 student paper award of ASA Sections on Statistical Computing and Statistical Graphics
Publication: collaborative research
- Madapana, N., Gonzalez, G., Zhang, L., Rodgers, R., & Wachs, J. (2020). Agreement Study Using Gesture Description Analysis. IEEE Transactions on Human-Machine Systems.
- Foli, K. J., Reddick, B., Zhang, L., & Krcelich, K. (2020). Nurses' psychological trauma:“They leave me lying awake at night”. Archives of Psychiatric Nursing.
- Foli, K. J., Reddick, B., Zhang, L., & Krcelich, K. (2020). Substance Use in Registered Nurses:“I Heard About a Nurse Who...”. Journal of the American Psychiatric Nurses Association, 26(1), 65-76.
- Casey, T., Sun, H., Suarez-Trujillo, A., Crodian, J., Zhang, L., Plaut, K., Burgess, H.J., Dowden, S., Haas, D.M. and Ahmed, A., 2020. Pregnancy rest-activity patterns are related to salivary cortisol rhythms and maternal-fetal health indicators in women from a disadvantaged population. PloS one, 15(3), p.e0229567.
- Casey, T., Sun, H., Burgess, H.J., Crodian, J., Dowden, S., Cummings, S., Plaut, K., Haas, D., Zhang, L. and Ahmed, A., (2019). Delayed Lactogenesis II is Associated With Lower Sleep Efficiency and Greater Variation in Nightly Sleep Duration in the Third Trimester. Journal of Human Lactation, 35(4), pp.713-724.
- Madapana, N., Gonzalez, G., Taneja, R., Rodgers, R., Zhang, L., & Wachs, J. (2019). Preference elicitation: Obtaining gestural guidelines for PACS in neurosurgery. International journal of medical informatics, 130, 103934.
- Ahmed, A. H., Sun, H., Crodian, J., Plaut, K., Haas, D., Zhang, L., & Casey, T. (2019). Relationship between sleep quality, depression symptoms, and blood glucose in pregnant women. Western journal of nursing research, 41(9), 1222-1240.
- Foli, K. J., Reddick, B., Zhang, L., & Edwards, N. (2019). Substance use in registered nurses: Where legal, medical, and personal collide. Journal of Nursing Regulation, 10(2), 45-54.
- Gonzalez, G., Madapana, N., Taneja, R., Zhang, L., Rodgers, R., & Wachs, J. P. (2018). Looking beyond the gesture: Vocabulary acceptability criteria for gesture elicitation studies. In Proceedings of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society Annual Meeting (Vol. 62, No. 1, pp. 997-1001). Sage CA: Los Angeles, CA: SAGE Publications.
- Madapana, N., Gonzalez, G., Rodgers, R., Zhang, L., & Wachs, J. P. (2018). Gestures for Picture Archiving and Communication Systems (PACS) operation in the operating room: Is there any standard?. PloS one, 13(6), e0198092.
- Foli, KJ, Woodcox, S, Kersey, S, and Zhang, L., (2018) Addressing the Wicked Problem of Childhood Trauma Through a Nursing and Cooperative Extension System Collaboration, Public Health Nursing, 35(1), 56-63.
- McComb, S., Tian, Z., Nuti, L., Sands, L., Turkcan, A., Zhang, L. and Lawley, M. A., (2017) Cancelled Primary Care Appointments: A Prospective Cohort Study for Diabetic Patients.Journal of Medical Systems, 41(4), 53.
- Foli, K.J., Woodcox, S., Kersey, S., Zhang, L., and Wilkinson, B. (2017), Trauma-Informed Parenting Classes Delivered to Rural Kinship Parents: A Pilot Study, Journal of the American Psychiatric Nurses Association, doi:
- Wan, H., Zhang, L., Witz, S., Musselman, K. J., Yi, F., Mullen, C.J., Benneyan, J.C., Zayas-Castro, J.L., Rico, F., Cure, L.N. and Martinez, D.A., (2016), A literature review of preventable hospital readmissions: Preceding the Readmissions Reduction Act, IIE Transactions On Healthcare Systems Engineering, 6(4), pp. 193-211.
- Szucs, K.A., Ahmed, A., Roumani, A. M., Zhang, L. and King, D.E., (2016) The Effect of Interactive Web-based Breastfeeding Monitoring on Breastfeeding Outcomes: A randomized control trial. Journal of Obstetric, Gynecologic & Neonatal Nursing, 45(2), pp. 143-154.
- Nuti, L., Turkcan, A., Lawley, M.A., Zhang, L., Sands, L. and McComb, S., (2015) The Impact of Interventions on Appointment and Clinical Outcomes for Diabetic Patients: A Systematic Review, BMC Health Services Research15, pp. 355
- Fu, M., Zhang, L., Ahmed, A. M., Plaut, K., Haas, D.M., Szucs, K. and Casey, T. M., (2015), Does circadian disruption play a role in the metabolic-hormonal link to delayed lactogenesis II?, Frontiers in Nutrition, 2:4. doi: 10.3389/fnut.2015.00004.
- Cao, Y., Zhang, L. and Sun, D. (2013) An Enhancement to the Linear Dynamic System Model for Air Traffic Forecasting, Proceedings of American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA) Conference on Guidance, Navigation and Control, Boston MA, Aug. 2013.
- Cao, Y., Zhang, L. and Sun, D. (2013) Air Traffic Prediction Based on the Kernel Density Estimation, Proceedings of American Control Conference , Washington D.C., June 17-19.
- Nuti, L., Lawley, M., Turkcan, A., Tian, Z., Zhang, L., Chang, K., Willis, D. R., and Sands, L. (2012) No-Shows to Primary Care Appointments: Subsequent Acute Care Utilization among Diabetic Patients, BMC Health Services Research, 12(1), 304.
- Turkcan, A., Nuti, L, DeLaurentis, P. C., Tian, Z., Zhang, L., Lawley, M. and Sands, L. (2012), Models and Methods to Account for No-shows in Outpatient Clinics, in Healthcare Operations Management: A Handbook of Methods and Applications, Springer.
- Wang, Z., Chen, F., Zhai, R., Zhang, L., Su, L., Lin, X., Thompson, B. T. and Christiani, D. C. (2009), Plasma Neutrophil Elastase and Elafin Imbalance Is Associated with Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS) Development, PLoS ONE, 4(2): e4380. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0004380.
- Zhang, L., Zhu, Z., Jeffay, K., Marron, J. S. and Smith, F. D. (2008), MultiResolution Anomaly Detection for the Internet, Proceedings of IEEE INFOCOM Workshop on Auto mated Network Management, Phoenix, AZ, April 18, 2008.
- Terrell, J. and Zhang, L., Jeffay, K., Nobel, A., Shen, H., Smith, F. D., Zhu, Z. (2005), Multivariate SVD Analyses for Network Anomaly Detection, SIGCOMM Poster Proceeding (Refereed), Philadelphia, August, 2005. (Co-first author)
- Lu, X. Zhang, L. and Chen, X. (2003), Using the Disclosed Financial Information to Forecast
Future Sale, Modern Economic Science, No.1. pp. 44-50. (in Chinese)
- Lu, X., Chen, X., Zhang, L. and Liu, H. (2001), The Forecasting Ability of the Basic
Financial Information for the Future Revenue from China's Listed Companies, Economic
Science, No.6. pp. 53-62. (in Chinese)
Other publications and Technical Reports
- Zhang, L. and Lin, X. (2013), Multivariate Statistical Methods in Bioinformatics Research, in Basics of Bioinformatics, Lecture Notes of the Graduate Summer School on Bioinformatics of China, Tsinghua University Press and Springer-Verlag, pp 163-231.
- Musselman, K., Pope, B., Tian, Z., Witz, S., Zhang, L., Leon, L., and Davis, A., (2015), System-wide prediction of general, all-cause preventable readmissions, RCHE Publications, 58.
(If the download link is not available, please contact Lingsong for the manuscripts)
- Pope, B. and Zhang, L., Non-Clinical Determinants of Hospital Readmissions.
Codes or Software Packages