Applied Regression Analysis
Fall 2016, Sections 9 & 10
Instructor: Chong Gu
Classes: 11:30-12:20 & 12:30-1:20 MWF, REC 113.
Office Hours: 1:30-2:30 MWF, HAAS 170, or by appointment.
SAS Help Sessions: 6:30-8:30pm W, BRNG B286.
- Course outline
- Among topics to be covered are simple and multiple regression,
analysis of variance, analysis of covariance, diagnostics, etc.
The emphasis is placed on selected practical tools using SAS rather
than on the mathematical manipulations.
- Applied Linear Statistical Models (5th ed.) by
Kutner, Nachtsheim, Neter & Li (ISBN 0072386886)
- Applied Statistics and the SAS Programming Language (5th ed.) by
Cody & Smith
- SAS System for Regression (2nd ed.) by Freund & Little
You are encouraged to discuss with each other on the assignments, but
do try your best to understand the materials.
- Exams and quizzes
All exams and quizzes are open-book and open-notes. Do bring a calculator
- There will be two midterms (20% x 2) and a final (30%).
- There will be biweekly quizzes (10%) given mostly on
Mondays on materials covered in the latest homework assignments.
You do get to drop the worst quiz score unless it is a 10.
- The course has an "embedded oral communication" component, for which we will have
group projects (10%) involving data analysis, report writing, and in-class presentation.
- Click here for the due dates of homework
assignments and the schedules of quizzes and exams.
- Lecture slides
- Click here for the slides I will be using
in the lectures. The slides are very sketchy. These can be good
review materials afterwards, but not so much as learning materials
without the verbal explanations to be delivered in the lectures.
- Solution keys
- Click here for the solution keys to
homeworks, quizzes, and exams.